Beatles legend Paul McCartney has slammed the Italian government over its “outrageous” ticket refund policy.
A new decree passed by the Italian government prevents music fans from receiving a full refund for Italian shows that have been canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic.
McCartney was due to perform at several cities in Europe this summer, including Naples, on Tuesday, June 10, and Lucca, on Saturday, June 13, as part of his Freshen Up tour. The live dates were, however, canceled last month as a result of the ongoing outbreak.
“It is outrageous that those who have paid for their tickets are not getting their money back,” McCartney wrote on Facebook. “Without the fans there would be no live entertainment. We strongly disagree with what the Italian government are doing.”
“A full refund was offered to all fans from other countries that we would visit this summer. The Italian organizer of our shows and the Italian legislators must do the right thing in this case,” he added. “We are all extremely disappointed the shows could not take place and this is a real insult to the fans.”
Meanwhile, in response, promoters D’Alessandro & Galli said that McCartney and his team were “perfectly aware” of the voucher policy before his dates were canceled.
“We fully understand the bitterness of the artist who cared about these two concerts that would mark his return to Italy, as well as we understand his displeasure in the face of the discomfort that his fans will have to sustain by not receiving a direct refund but by voucher,” the company said.
They added, “This reimbursement formula is an extraordinary measure that Paul McCartney’s staff was perfectly aware of before the cancellation and which, as is well known, was established by the Italian Government to deal with an unprecedented crisis that risked giving a shot fatal to the live music industry and the approximately 400,000 workers who are part of it and who risk not being able to work for a year.”